Explore the remote New Zealand backcountry, Queenstown’s frontier heritage, and cinematic landscapes featured in many hit Hollywood movies on this off road adventure! You will be picked up from your hotel by your professional guide and driver and begin either a Skippers Canyon or Macetown journey depending on your package choice. A Skippers Canyon tour will take you along winding steep roads cut into sheer cliff faces, across historic suspension bridges, up towering mountains, and down steep canyons. You’ll visit historic townships, catch some great views, and even pan for gold! A Macetown adventure will take you to the abandoned gold mining town of Macetown, where you’ll visit some of the heritage sites of New Zealand’s frontier days and filming locations for the cinescapes from the Lord of the Rings. Travel along rugged roads and ford the Arrow River several times to relive the Fellowship’s escape from the Nazgul in the Lord of the Rings movies. Both tours will feature stops for refreshments as well as commentary on all the points of interest from your professional guide. Book your 4×4 adventure today for the best way to experience the New Zealand outdoors!
- 08:00/13:30 pick up from Central Queenstown accommodation
- Travel towards Arrowtown
- See the Chinese Village
- Enter the Arrow River for an off road adventure
- Approximately 25 river crossings to Macetown, passing through Soho Creek and Britannia Terrace
- Explore Macetown, see restored Smith’s Bakehouse and Needgam’s Cottage
- Enjoy morning or afternoon tea at Anderson’s Battery
- Turn back towards Queenstown along the Macetown Track
- Pan for gold in the Arrow River
- 12:30/18:00 return to Queenstown
- Child ticket: Age 4-14
- Children aged 0-3 are free of charge
Non Refundable , For Trips affected By COVID-19, it can be extended within 12 Months to use the credit.
Fare Difference will be charged for High season.
- Please bring water, a camera, and a sense of adventure
- Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Please note: This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants to operate (minimum of 4 on New Zealand public holidays).
Pick Up Information
- Time: 08:00/13:30
- Please select your preferred pick up location at checkout. The operator will contact you by email to confirm your pick up location and time in advance
- Please arrive at the pick up location 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time